Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year! Welcome to 2012 and the Year's Reading Plans



Here's to Health and Happiness
in the New Year!

Hello, Everyone! Hope you've all had a wonderful holiday season. As happy as I am for the start of a shiny new year, I'm sorry to see all the bright lights and decorations being packed away. I've two suggestions I'd love to see adopted in the US next year: the first is that Thanksgiving be moved to the beginning of November so that the holidays are not so crunched; and the second is that some of those beautiful holiday lights stay up throughout the winter. (I don't mean the full-on displays with Santas and inflatable snowmen -- just some of the pretty lights to brighten those dark winter nights.) Oh, well, I can dream . . .

What are your reading plans for 2012? This year, I'm focusing on reading books that are already in my possession. I'm not brave enough to commit to reading ONLY my own books, just a lot more of them. To help me plan and organize, I'm joining a bunch of challenges. I know, I'm terrible with challenges! But I hail for the state whose motto is "Hope" so what can you expect?!

Like a lot of other bloggers, I've got an overabundance of wonderful books that I've yet to read because I'm constantly tempted by new selections. I've decided to go through all my shelves and stacks and pick out what I really want to read over the next year or two and organize them according to challenges. My intention is that this will help to keep me from forgetting about them. Then I'm going to start farming out what I don't think I'll reasonably get to within the next couple of years so that I'm less of a hoarder and more of a reading enabler! 

Over the next week or so, I'll be publishing a lot of challenge sign up posts. I've decided to keep them all separate (I know a lot of bloggers do a Master Challenge List, but I'm going to try it this way this year.) I know a lot of these posts will go unread by my readers but, hopefully, you'll want to read my book reviews as I start to post them!

In the meantime, if you've read this far, does anyone know of a reading challenge for the American West and/or a China themed challenge?

Again, Happy New Year to Everyone! Hope you'll join me for another year of great reading!


3 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Happy New Year to you!

Mystica said...

A very happy new year to you.

Amanda said...

What a great idea! I too have far too many books on my shelves that I want to read. Happy new year! Hopefully we get tons of reading done this year :)