Monday, January 2, 2012

2012 European Reading Challenge



I'm joining the 2012 European Reading Challenge hosted by Rose City Reader. For this challenge, each book read must be by a different author and set in a different country. Once again, I'll draw first from books I already own, but I'm increasingly interested in the history of Eastern European countries, so I will most likely pick up a non-fiction history or two during the course of the 13 months this challenge runs.

Timeline: January 1, 2012 to January 31, 2013

Level:  Five Star (Deluxe Entourage): Read at least five books by different European authors or books set in different European countries.

Personal Challenge:  If I change out any of the following titles, it must be for a book I already own.

1. Romania - NO ONE IS HERE EXCEPT ALL OF US by Ramona Ausubel

2. Hungary - THE COUNTESS by Rebecca Johns
3. Russia - THE WINTER PALACE by Eva Stachniak
4. France - SUITE FRANCAISE by Irene Nemirovsky
5. Turkey - THEODORA by Stella Duffy
6.

3 comments:

Tina said...

You're in for a treat with Suite Francaise and Theodora. I'm doing the WW I challenge so I'll be doing a bit of European reading myself.

Gilion at Rose City Reader said...

Thanks for signing up!

Suite Francaise is wonderful. I haven't read your other choices, so i look forward to reading your thoughts.

I am particularly interested to see if you switch to some Eastern European non-fiction books. I am also interested in that subject. I recommend The Haunted land, if you haven't read it yet. It won the Pulitzer and was very good.

cessie said...

I joined the European Reading Challenge as well and I'm browsing a little through the participant's list.
I'm so interested in what everyone is reading for this challenge! I don't know the books you choose so I'm looking forward to learn more. So I will come back!